Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Immune to Indians Fever
When I look up to the left field bleachers at Jacobs Field, I still see a baseball barely clearing the wall on a cold October night. And I still see Tony Pena--of all people--rounding first base with both arms raised.
The game was over. In their return to baseball's postseason, the Indians won a game with more twists and turns than any good piece of fiction.
And I should have been there. But Dad had one extra ticket, and two sons.
Understand, that season I never missed a game. Nobody did. Take out the trash? Do your homework? Later. The Indians were playing. Turn down tickets to a Tribe game? Not on your life.
Back then, anyone wearing Chief Wahoo on his hat was just like me. The Indians were second on life's to-do list to breathing (because dying meant missing a game).
Granted, Indians' fans were hungry for wins after starving on 40 years of bumbling baseball. The new ballpark and the relocation of the Browns contributed to the "perfect storm" of conditions that fed Indians' Fever.
But while watching Albert Belle deposit opposing pitchers in the bleachers, fans were quick to boast that Cleveland was the best baseball town in the Majors. Well, today, it's quite clear that it's not. Not even close.
The Indians have 74 wins. That's one less than last year's World Champs, and more than first place teams in three divisions. Yet they sit 27th among Major League teams in average attendance per game.
I understand if you'd like to have a few more bucks in your pocket these days. We all would. But compared to the rest of the league, $15 bucks for a very good mezzanine seat is a bargain. And judging by the way Travis Hafner is hitting the ball, your chances are good that he'll crush one your way.
Maybe that homer will clinch a playoff spot? And maybe you'll wish you were there to witness history. Trust me, I still do.
Indians fans, why so cool on your red hot baseball team? Let me know at chandler@newsnet5.com
The game was over. In their return to baseball's postseason, the Indians won a game with more twists and turns than any good piece of fiction.
And I should have been there. But Dad had one extra ticket, and two sons.
Understand, that season I never missed a game. Nobody did. Take out the trash? Do your homework? Later. The Indians were playing. Turn down tickets to a Tribe game? Not on your life.
Back then, anyone wearing Chief Wahoo on his hat was just like me. The Indians were second on life's to-do list to breathing (because dying meant missing a game).
Granted, Indians' fans were hungry for wins after starving on 40 years of bumbling baseball. The new ballpark and the relocation of the Browns contributed to the "perfect storm" of conditions that fed Indians' Fever.
But while watching Albert Belle deposit opposing pitchers in the bleachers, fans were quick to boast that Cleveland was the best baseball town in the Majors. Well, today, it's quite clear that it's not. Not even close.
The Indians have 74 wins. That's one less than last year's World Champs, and more than first place teams in three divisions. Yet they sit 27th among Major League teams in average attendance per game.
I understand if you'd like to have a few more bucks in your pocket these days. We all would. But compared to the rest of the league, $15 bucks for a very good mezzanine seat is a bargain. And judging by the way Travis Hafner is hitting the ball, your chances are good that he'll crush one your way.
Maybe that homer will clinch a playoff spot? And maybe you'll wish you were there to witness history. Trust me, I still do.
Indians fans, why so cool on your red hot baseball team? Let me know at chandler@newsnet5.com
Posted at 1:24 PM
<< Home