Tuesday, February 21, 2006

LeBron: I am a Witness


I walk down Ontario Street, and catch LeBron James staring down from the side of the Sherwin Williams Building. We are all witnesses. Some called that slogan on the gigantic
billboard understated. At first, I found it to be partly bogus and mostly blasphemous (what miracle was he performing?).

Now, I just think it's the God's honest truth.

I love LeBron James. I am taken with his talent; captivated by his confidence. Yes, if love is blind, then let's just say I'm no match for Stevie Wonder on a good day.

Not after watching the All Star game on Sunday night. In this era of the narcissistic NBA, most players don't care about a game that won't show up on their stat line, or in their paycheck. But the obvious line here: LeBron is not like most players. Sunday, I saw why.

He actually wanted to win a game that didn't count. While veterans (Rip Hamilton, Shaquille O'Neal) were clowning around, LeBron got right down to business and won the game, then the MVP. He is the youngest in league history to do so.

Big deal, his critics might say. Call us when he wins a game that counts.

Point well taken.

Like those critics, my inner cynic wants me to find fault with LeBron James. It's nothing personal, just a byproduct of growing up a Cleveland fan (in scientific terms: Cleveland + Sports = Inevitable Disappointment).

See, sooner or later the bubble is bound to burst. At some point, that malicious man they call "reality" (he might also go by "Jordan") will drive a needle into Cleveland's inflated delusions of grandeur.

Pop! Sorry, Mr. Chandler, but have you heard? LeBron signed with the Knicks.

Believe me, I live in fear of that day, when the billboard is rolled up and trucked down I-80 to Madison Square Garden. Or the United Center. Or hell, as far as I'm concerned.

It's not like we have never been witnesses. No, we've seen greatness before--just not wearing Cleveland across the front of a jersey (OK, at least not since Jim Brown retired).

That is why Sunday's sight was so remarkable. A Cavalier, clutching an MVP trophy? Not unless Michael Jordan, himself, had asked someone wearing wine and gold to hold it while he tied hid shoe.

But this actually happened. LeBron is making witnesses out of the most cynical sports city. How about believers? Only if he delivers Cleveland a championship. Now that would be a miracle.

Cleveland, are you all witnesses, too? Share your favorite LeBron James moments with an e-mail to chandler@newsnet5.com

Posted at 12:07 PM