Friday, July 14, 2006

While I Was Out...

You know those old pink written messages you used to get at work? The ones that voice mail pretty much replaced? Right. Well, consider this one giant pink "while you were out" message.

Sometimes a few days away from the swing of things gives you a fresh perspective. And a terrible sun burn, but my issues with SPF are another topic for another day. I've got plenty more to get off my chest than just suntan lotion.

Trading Tribe
Interesting, Ronnie Belliard is in the lineup at thirdbase tonight against the Twins. Could it be because he's on the market? It sure would be easier to deal him if he can show a little versatility in the field. His bat seems to be fine (.321 avg since June 25) with 42 RBI, second most among secondbasemen.

I'd be shocked if Andy Marte (right) is not at third base by early August. Aaron Boone will either have to take a seat, or take a hike, since Marte is starting to show the power that made Coco Crisp so expendable (13 HR, 40 RBI). Keeping him at AAA Buffalo in 2007 is simply not an option.

Bob Wickman seems most likely to be moved before the July 31st trading deadline, provided a few recent blown saves haven't hurt him. But a capable reliever is like gold for teams in a pennant chase.


LeBron Shortchanging Cleveland?
So, LeBron James asked for a three year deal, instead of the assumed five year maximum. So what? C'mon, Cleveland, don't take it so personally. It's business. And LeBron is proving himself to be quite the businessman.

Forget the money, for a second. If this is strictly a matter of winning games (and titles) then LeBron did the right thing. A three year deal forces the Cavs to kick things up a notch, and build the kind of situation that LeBron will feel comfortable in. If they do, and he bolts then that's on him. If they don't, then why should LeBron stay?



Go Bucks
As if I needed a reminder of just how enormous the Ohio State alumni base is... I'm walking to the beach on the Cape Cod National Seashore and hear a guy call out behind me "O-H..." Naturally, I had to finish it up with the requisite, "I-O!" He was wearing a Ted Ginn jersey, and saw my Ohio plates. Gotta love that.

Speaking of the Buckeyes, I spent my Thursday hanging around the Woody Hayes Athletic Center down in Columbus. WR Tony Gonzalez (St. Ignatius) and OL Alex Boone (St. Ed's) both predicted that QB Troy Smith would win the Heisman this year. Bold? Sure. Bogus? Not exactly. Troy is hard at work this summer, and the buzz in C-Bus is that he is infinitely more mature than one year ago.

Off the Couch
Browns fans, keep your eyes on NewsChannel 5 all week for the latest on the team. And you'll want to hear what former quarterback Tim Couch told our Sports Director Chris Miller the other day about his old coach Butch Davis. I'd tell you now, but then... well, you know.

Let's just say Davis shouldn't expect that Couch family Christmas card anytime soon. But something tells me he already knows that.

Check out the Tim Couch exclusive, starting Sunday night on NewsChannel 5 at Eleven.

OK, that's all I've got for now. Remember to turn...

As always, your comments on the Cleveland sports scene are welcome. Send them our way for the Alltel Sound Off: 5sports@newsnet5.com

Posted at 4:38 PM