Browns Camp: Cribbs A Catch
When Charlie Frye completes a pass to Josh Cribbs, take a moment to consider the history.
Frye and Cribbs were onetime rivals, at Akron and Kent State. In fact, standing next to each other for an interview prior to a Zips-Flashes showdown, neither would say a word to the other.
Now, they're teaming up for the Browns.
"I'm learning his aspect of playing quarterback now," says Cribbs, wearing his #16 Browns uniform as a wide receiver. "(Things like) where he wants the receivers at, because I played quarterback as well, and I knew where I wanted them at."
At Akron, Frye was a prospect. At Kent State, Cribbs was a project. Some around the Mid American Conference will tell you Cribbs was an underrated signal caller, yet in the long line of MAC quarterbacks, Cribbs has taken the low road to the NFL: undrafted and undaunted.
In an interview during his senior season in 2004, Cribbs acknowledged the odds, and shared his approach to reaching the pro ranks:
"Anyway I can get there. Any shape, form, or fashion. They want me to play lineman, center, that's what I'm going to do."
Today, Cribbs smiles when reminded that he offered to play center.
"I still feel the same way," says Cribbs. "A lot of guys are like, 'When are you going to throw the ball? I know you still want to play quarterback.'"
Josh's eyes don't lie; he still considers himself a quarterback. But he knows what is earning him an NFL paycheck.
"Wherever they put me, I'll still play. If they want to give me a reverse pass, I'll do it. If they want to put me on defense, I'll do it. Wide receiver? Whatever my role is on this football team, I'm going to do it and do it to the fullest."
The Browns are taking him up on the offer. Cribbs has impressed through 11 days of camp. He has progressed in running routes, and making the difficult catch. His arm, and his athletic ability, suggest the potential for a unique role. Kordell Stewart called it the "slash." And Frye sees it.
"He's kind of like (Antwaan) Randle-El," says Frye, referring to the former Steelers do-everything man. "He can run, he can catch the ball, he's multi-dimensional. He can offer a variety of different things to this offense."
Cleveland, share your thoughts on the Browns. Send us an e-mail to 5sports@newsnet5.com
Posted at 9:32 PM
<< Home