Wednesday, August 02, 2006
Browns Camp: Day 8
By John Chandler
LeCharles Bentley inched his way across the 10 foot path that led from the platform stairs to his chair in the Browns media center. His step was as sure as a baby's.
LeCharles is not used to crutches.
In fact, he's not used to injuries keeping him out of games. Once, at Ohio State, he played five games on a torn ACL. So, to miss the upcoming
"I just asked Romeo (Crennel) if I could get a few reps today in practice," said Bentley, speaking about his season ending knee injury for the first time. "I know I can't."
That he can't must be eating the Browns center alive on the inside. But if it is, he's doing his best not to let it show. The smile on his face is not forced; it carries more of an "oh-well" look, because this is one of those injuries that just can't be explained. To this day, nearly one week after it happened, LeCharles has no idea what happened to him.
"Nobody touched me," he said. "Your mind is working a thousand miles an hour. You start thinking about the recovery, how severe is it? You feel like you let everyone down. There's just so many emotions at that moment."
The first one that came to his mind was the feeling that someone kicked him. The Browns might have felt the same way. Coach Romeo Crennel likes to say that you can't replace a player that hasn't played for you. That may be the case with a guy signed off the street, but not a two time Pro Bowl center. Not a player who provided instant leadership in the lockerroom, and was expected to be the security blanket that second year quarterback Charlie Frye needs.
No disrespect to backup center Bob Hallen, who is no slouch. But he's replacing the one player on the Browns that just may be irreplaceable.
"I'll be the best cheerleader on the team," quipped Bentley. "I won't wear a skirt, but I'm going to be there for the guys."
Deep Frye
Since he threw his first pass at the University of Akron, critics have taken more shots at quarterback Charlie Frye's arm than a Steelers defensive lineman.
He's done listening to it.
"I threw that ball 66 yards in the air yesterday, so I don't want to hear anything about that arm strength," said an adamant Frye, who has completed several deep touchdown passes to Dennis Northcutt in camp.
Joe's Back
WR Joe Jurevicius returned to the field in Wednesday's morning session. He missed time with back spasms.
"It wasn't a bad injury," said Jurevicious. "I kind of attribute it to being like a carpenter without a hammer. You need your back."
Funny, but his back seemed fine before Chaun Thompson threw a punch Sunday in a tussle that landed Jurevicius at the bottom of the pile. Could that have caused the spasms? He didn't rule it out.
"Whether that was it, who knows? It's a done deal. That's what happens when you're out here in the heat and tempers flare."
In The Running
Still wondering who has the edge for the third-down back position, spelling starter Reuben Droughns. Lee Suggs would make sense, if he's healthy. But when I asked Romeo Crennel if he had a leg up on the rest of the competition, he replied,"Maybe a toe."
William Green continues to hang around in the crowded backfield, with rookie Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright. As Romeo said today, "The backup job is open."
BrownsNation, send in your thoughts to 5sports@newsnet5.com. Then watch for them in the Alltel SoundOff on the Toyota Sports Sunday at 11:32 pm on NewsChannel 5.
LeCharles Bentley inched his way across the 10 foot path that led from the platform stairs to his chair in the Browns media center. His step was as sure as a baby's.
LeCharles is not used to crutches.
In fact, he's not used to injuries keeping him out of games. Once, at Ohio State, he played five games on a torn ACL. So, to miss the upcoming
"I just asked Romeo (Crennel) if I could get a few reps today in practice," said Bentley, speaking about his season ending knee injury for the first time. "I know I can't."
That he can't must be eating the Browns center alive on the inside. But if it is, he's doing his best not to let it show. The smile on his face is not forced; it carries more of an "oh-well" look, because this is one of those injuries that just can't be explained. To this day, nearly one week after it happened, LeCharles has no idea what happened to him.
The first one that came to his mind was the feeling that someone kicked him. The Browns might have felt the same way. Coach Romeo Crennel likes to say that you can't replace a player that hasn't played for you. That may be the case with a guy signed off the street, but not a two time Pro Bowl center. Not a player who provided instant leadership in the lockerroom, and was expected to be the security blanket that second year quarterback Charlie Frye needs.
No disrespect to backup center Bob Hallen, who is no slouch. But he's replacing the one player on the Browns that just may be irreplaceable.
"I'll be the best cheerleader on the team," quipped Bentley. "I won't wear a skirt, but I'm going to be there for the guys."
Deep Frye
Since he threw his first pass at the University of Akron, critics have taken more shots at quarterback Charlie Frye's arm than a Steelers defensive lineman.
He's done listening to it.
"I threw that ball 66 yards in the air yesterday, so I don't want to hear anything about that arm strength," said an adamant Frye, who has completed several deep touchdown passes to Dennis Northcutt in camp.
Joe's Back
WR Joe Jurevicius returned to the field in Wednesday's morning session. He missed time with back spasms.
"It wasn't a bad injury," said Jurevicious. "I kind of attribute it to being like a carpenter without a hammer. You need your back."
Funny, but his back seemed fine before Chaun Thompson threw a punch Sunday in a tussle that landed Jurevicius at the bottom of the pile. Could that have caused the spasms? He didn't rule it out.
"Whether that was it, who knows? It's a done deal. That's what happens when you're out here in the heat and tempers flare."
In The Running
Still wondering who has the edge for the third-down back position, spelling starter Reuben Droughns. Lee Suggs would make sense, if he's healthy. But when I asked Romeo Crennel if he had a leg up on the rest of the competition, he replied,"Maybe a toe."
William Green continues to hang around in the crowded backfield, with rookie Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright. As Romeo said today, "The backup job is open."
BrownsNation, send in your thoughts to 5sports@newsnet5.com. Then watch for them in the Alltel SoundOff on the Toyota Sports Sunday at 11:32 pm on NewsChannel 5.
Posted at 10:54 AM
<< Home