Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Cleveland, We Have A Problem
The Browns kick off their preseason schedule Thursday night, in Philadelphia. Rumor has it they're arriving a day early to search the city for a center. No experience necessary. Just be willing to take a beating.
If I'm Charlie Frye right now, I'm afraid. Scared silly, in fact. The Browns' center situation is so bad that Charlie might as well take snaps from Casper the friendly ghost. Or a sieve.
With LeCharles Bentley lost for the season, and backup Bob Hallen gone AWOL, the Browns must now turn to Alonzo Ephraim to protect their quarterback. Alonzo was sitting at home, in Alabama, when the call came.
"I'm not a fortune teller, but I can see opportunity when it arises," Ephraim told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
I'm not Mark Johnson, but I can forcast a disaster when I see it. And the Browns, at least at center, are a disaster-in-waiting. What was the major problem in Charlie Frye's five starts last season? Casey Hampton was a big one. Blocking the Steelers nose tackle is like stopping a runaway aircraft carrier.
Sure, the Browns have plenty of weapons on offense to get excited about. Reuben Droughns ran for over 1,000 yards in 2005. Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards could be on the field together. They could also be healthy, which would be a bonus. And there are a few guys on that offensive line who can play the game (see: Tucker, Ryan and Andruzzi, Joe).
But if the Browns can't stop the high pressure system up the middle, then get ready for a stormy 2006 season. It seems even coach Romeo Crennel can see that, calling his center situation," critical."
So, while Phil Savage and company scan the waiver wires (not to mention the Streets of Philadelphia) for help, the Browns must try to win games. We'll see.
Browns fans, send in your thoughts by e-mailing 5sports@newsnet5.com Then, look for them every Sunday night at 11:32 PM on The Toyota Sports Sunday.
If I'm Charlie Frye right now, I'm afraid. Scared silly, in fact. The Browns' center situation is so bad that Charlie might as well take snaps from Casper the friendly ghost. Or a sieve.
"I'm not a fortune teller, but I can see opportunity when it arises," Ephraim told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
I'm not Mark Johnson, but I can forcast a disaster when I see it. And the Browns, at least at center, are a disaster-in-waiting. What was the major problem in Charlie Frye's five starts last season? Casey Hampton was a big one. Blocking the Steelers nose tackle is like stopping a runaway aircraft carrier.
Sure, the Browns have plenty of weapons on offense to get excited about. Reuben Droughns ran for over 1,000 yards in 2005. Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards could be on the field together. They could also be healthy, which would be a bonus. And there are a few guys on that offensive line who can play the game (see: Tucker, Ryan and Andruzzi, Joe).
But if the Browns can't stop the high pressure system up the middle, then get ready for a stormy 2006 season. It seems even coach Romeo Crennel can see that, calling his center situation," critical."
So, while Phil Savage and company scan the waiver wires (not to mention the Streets of Philadelphia) for help, the Browns must try to win games. We'll see.
Browns fans, send in your thoughts by e-mailing 5sports@newsnet5.com Then, look for them every Sunday night at 11:32 PM on The Toyota Sports Sunday.
Posted at 9:26 AM
<< Home