Thursday, March 22, 2007
Deep In The Heart...
By John Chandler
First of all, can I tell you how disappointed I was to hear about Cleveland's nice weather? When you travel to a warm destination in March, you expect to have the opportunity to rub it in to your friend and family. You know, when I tell someone back home that I got to wear shorts today, the last thing I want to hear is, me too!
OK, I'm done with my rant for the day. And I'm glad all of you back home are wearing shorts and riding your bikes and doing all of the things that I was supposed to be doing down here to make you jealous!!!
Ok, now I'm done. Really. And I feel better with that out of my system.
After spending time in the Buckeyes lockerroom, it's clear that they feel better having flushed the Xavier game from their systems. Greg Oden talked about redemtion. Coach Thad Matta called it motivation. Yes, there were a whole lot of words ending in -tion being tossed around Ohio State's lockerroom, and I gather that to mean the team is focused (not to mention a bunch of English majors).
The Xavier game just may be the best thing that happened to Ohio State. It made them realize that they cannot get overly confident heading into a game, as they were that Saturday. It was a lesson taught without having to pay the ultimate price in the one-and-done NCAA Tournament.
Are they lucky enough to be here? Maybe. But I'd argue that they're way too talented to get by on luck. The near loss to Xavier was a wake up call, that's for sure. Tonight, expect Tennessee to pay the price.
Keys To The Game
For Ohio State to advance...
1. Restore Oden's Confidence... Greg was in the dumps after playing what he felt was his worst game against Xavier. He spent the whole week staying late after practice and working to regain his shot. It must show, tonight.
2. Lock Up Lofton... Tennessee's speedster can get up and down the floor, as Ohio State learned in a January game that the Vols could've easily won.
3. Strategy 101... This game will feature two of college hoops' premier coaches, in Brue Pearl and That Matta. They are both balls of energy on the bench, or in the stands, in Pearl's case. Remember, he painted his bare chest for a Lady Vols game earlier this winter. Not pretty.
Today's Coverage
Be sure to check out my reports from San Antonio this evening. On Live On Five, I'll remember the Alamo... then on NewsChannel 5 at Six, Ohio State's Ron Lewis breaks down both of his game winners this year, including the January shot that sank Tennessee. I'll see you on TV, as we like to say.
Buckeye Nation, remember you can SoundOff on your team by sending an e-mail to 5sports@newsnet5.com.
First of all, can I tell you how disappointed I was to hear about Cleveland's nice weather? When you travel to a warm destination in March, you expect to have the opportunity to rub it in to your friend and family. You know, when I tell someone back home that I got to wear shorts today, the last thing I want to hear is, me too!
OK, I'm done with my rant for the day. And I'm glad all of you back home are wearing shorts and riding your bikes and doing all of the things that I was supposed to be doing down here to make you jealous!!!
Ok, now I'm done. Really. And I feel better with that out of my system.
After spending time in the Buckeyes lockerroom, it's clear that they feel better having flushed the Xavier game from their systems. Greg Oden talked about redemtion. Coach Thad Matta called it motivation. Yes, there were a whole lot of words ending in -tion being tossed around Ohio State's lockerroom, and I gather that to mean the team is focused (not to mention a bunch of English majors).
The Xavier game just may be the best thing that happened to Ohio State. It made them realize that they cannot get overly confident heading into a game, as they were that Saturday. It was a lesson taught without having to pay the ultimate price in the one-and-done NCAA Tournament.
Are they lucky enough to be here? Maybe. But I'd argue that they're way too talented to get by on luck. The near loss to Xavier was a wake up call, that's for sure. Tonight, expect Tennessee to pay the price.
Keys To The Game
For Ohio State to advance...
1. Restore Oden's Confidence... Greg was in the dumps after playing what he felt was his worst game against Xavier. He spent the whole week staying late after practice and working to regain his shot. It must show, tonight.
2. Lock Up Lofton... Tennessee's speedster can get up and down the floor, as Ohio State learned in a January game that the Vols could've easily won.
3. Strategy 101... This game will feature two of college hoops' premier coaches, in Brue Pearl and That Matta. They are both balls of energy on the bench, or in the stands, in Pearl's case. Remember, he painted his bare chest for a Lady Vols game earlier this winter. Not pretty.
Today's Coverage
Be sure to check out my reports from San Antonio this evening. On Live On Five, I'll remember the Alamo... then on NewsChannel 5 at Six, Ohio State's Ron Lewis breaks down both of his game winners this year, including the January shot that sank Tennessee. I'll see you on TV, as we like to say.
Buckeye Nation, remember you can SoundOff on your team by sending an e-mail to 5sports@newsnet5.com.
Posted at 8:42 AM
<< Home