Saturday, March 17, 2007
FIRST HALF: OSU 29 XAVIER 25
By John Chandler
Not that I'm one to gawk...er...pay attention to every cheerleader's move, but Xavier's squad gets high marks in the creative department. During a first half timeout, they crawled across the court to spell out X-A-V-I-E-R, capping the "R" with one of the guys sliding into place. Hey, I was impressed. Or easily amused. One of the two.
Riding The See-Saw
Xavier takes a 10-9 lead at the 10:15 mark, when scrappy Johnny Wolf rolls a shot around the rim and in. At the Ohio State end, Greg Oden is whistled for an offensive foul and Thad Matta is irate. Oden fixes it, though, hitting a baby hook to tip the lead, and momentum, back the Buckeyes' way... wait, nevermind. The see-saw just swung back Xavier's way on a steal and score. It's 12-11 XU. Sorry, Emily Lighty, but the cushy win you requested the other day doesn't look like it's happening today. This thing has the makings of a chair-gripper.
Been There, Doing That
It's no surprise that Jamar Butler (6) and Ron Lewis (7) have scored 13 of Ohio State's first 19 points. Those two carried the Buckeyes in Thursday's first half, while Oden was tied up in double teams, and almost every player I spoke to after Friday's practice pointed out just how valuable their March experience is to an otherwise young team. These two are setting the tone. But the can't carry the load through two halfs, the way Xavier is playing.
Not that I'm one to gawk...er...pay attention to every cheerleader's move, but Xavier's squad gets high marks in the creative department. During a first half timeout, they crawled across the court to spell out X-A-V-I-E-R, capping the "R" with one of the guys sliding into place. Hey, I was impressed. Or easily amused. One of the two.
Riding The See-Saw
Xavier takes a 10-9 lead at the 10:15 mark, when scrappy Johnny Wolf rolls a shot around the rim and in. At the Ohio State end, Greg Oden is whistled for an offensive foul and Thad Matta is irate. Oden fixes it, though, hitting a baby hook to tip the lead, and momentum, back the Buckeyes' way... wait, nevermind. The see-saw just swung back Xavier's way on a steal and score. It's 12-11 XU. Sorry, Emily Lighty, but the cushy win you requested the other day doesn't look like it's happening today. This thing has the makings of a chair-gripper.
Been There, Doing That
It's no surprise that Jamar Butler (6) and Ron Lewis (7) have scored 13 of Ohio State's first 19 points. Those two carried the Buckeyes in Thursday's first half, while Oden was tied up in double teams, and almost every player I spoke to after Friday's practice pointed out just how valuable their March experience is to an otherwise young team. These two are setting the tone. But the can't carry the load through two halfs, the way Xavier is playing.
Naturally, Butler punctuates that point by canning a wide open three on the break for a 19-13 OSU lead. Maybe I'll just keep my mouth shut and eat my popcorn.
Shadow Coaching
Thad Matta mentioned in the lockerroom the other day that Xavier coach Sean Miller talks regularly with him during each week of the season. The two are obviously close friends, and Miller was a natural to grab the controls at XU after Matta left in 2004. But I wonder if the regular chit-chat and sharing of advice gives Xavier an advantage here. Maybe not, considering Miller's coaching style is already so similar to Matta's. It really is like looking in the mirror with these two teams.
Crunch Time, Take 1
With 4:31 to play in the half, OSU clings to a 21-17 lead. I don't think I'm being too extreme by saying that this stretch run is crucial. Can Xavier keep it close? Will Ohio State's talent start pulling the Buckeyes away from the Musketeers?
Thad Matta is irate on the Buckeyes' bench after his defense missed a rotation and gave up a three (23-22, OSU). The coach is entertainment by himself, stomping, shouting, clapping, contorting... in short, performing any other bodily function that ends in -ing. Greg Oden summed it up pretty well yesterday, saying even in practice it's like the coach wants to get out there and play, even though he knows he can't.
With 1:00 to play, OSU's 27-22 lead feels rather shaky... bam, Xavier just hit a three. Maybe I do know what I'm talking about after all. Or maybe I'm just lucky (it is St. Patrick's Day, right?).
Mike Conley hits a runner to beat the buzzer, though a 29-25 lead is not exactly what Ohio State would like to take into the lockerroom. Xavier, meanwhile, is right where they need to be.
Posted at 10:23 AM
<< Home