Thursday, March 22, 2007

FINAL:

By John Chandler

I'm not one to complain about officiating, but after a gift call from the stripes, a pair of OSU free throws tied the game at 64. And wait... do I see a Tennessee airball from three? Has momentum officially swung, with 8:34 to play? Yup, as Matt Terwilliger sinks another pair of freebee's for a 66-64 Ohio State lead. That's a first tonight, I believe.

The Ohio State Band (now they show up) struck up the classic drumroll from Wipeout. How appropriate, considering Ohio State has managed to erase Tennessee's seemingly insurmountable 20 point lead.

Triple Threat
I'm not sure I've witnessed a finer display of three point shooting in a college game. Tennessee retook the lead with a pair of consecutive three pointers, 74-72. Ryan Childress just hit a ridiculous one from the win in the face of Matt Terwilliger. Uh-oh.

Final Four...Minutes
4:00, 2nd Half: UT 77, OSU 74
To even think about reaching the Final Four, Ohio State will have to rally in the final four of this ballgame.

Random Thought: As the UT pep band rolls into a stirring rendition of Journey's Separate Ways, I'm left to wonder how it gets any better than Journey? What can I say, I love my cheesy '80's adult contemporary. OK, back to the action.

Coach Thad Matta is again going small, with guards Butler, Lewis, Lighty and Conley in the mix around Othello Hunter. Fine, just as long as somebody can guard Chris Lofton. I have doubts about that.

2:45 to play... a big three from the corner by Cleveland's finest, David Lighty.

Random Thought II: Brutus, the mascot, is working so hard out there he's sweating through his uniform. He's one tough nut, folks.

Big steal by Mike Conley in the lane might've saved this game (and season) for Ohio State. Ditton Ron Lewis' three with 2:00 to play.

Smart play here from Matta... subbing in the foul plagued Oden on offense, and out on defense.
Hey, at least the big man is making his free throws. The same can't be said of Wayne Chism, who split a crucial pair that would've tied the game at 84.

What did I say earlier about the officials? Yeah, well, Ron Lewis just got all ball with :38 to play on Jamar Smith's layup. Except for the stripes got whistle-happy. Smith split the pair for the 84-84 tie.

:06.5 to play, Mike Conley stepped to the line for the two biggest free throws of his life. And split them.

Tennessee's winning shot? Not on Greg Oden's watch! The big man picked a whale of a time to show up on defense, blocking the final shot. Wow.

FINAL: OSU 85, UT 84... guess the Buckeyes had another life, after all.

Posted at 8:57 PM