Saturday, March 17, 2007
OSU vs. XAVIER: IN ACTION
By John Chandler
A few minutes before tipoff, and Rupp Arena is already louder for Saturday's Battle of Ohio than it was at its loudest point in Thursday's opening round win over Central Connecticut State. In fact, at 11:00 this morning, when I strolled out to center court for a walk, a select few scarlet-clad fans in the rafters belted out an "O-H..." that was followed up with an echoing, "I-O." Now that's a little more like it.
Thad Matta was just introduced over the loudspeaker to an old chorus in boo flat. Figured that was coming.
Ohio State should be concerned about Xavier's energy level. This team obviously has revenge on their minds for their former coach, and that could prove a dangerous x-factor in this game. But I still think talent wins out.
Tip-Off
First shot of the game for OSU: an ill-advised three by Ivan Harris too early in the shot clock that caught rim and nothing else. Something tells me living by the three just won't cut it today. Of course, just as I type that, Ron Lewis cans a three from the top of the key for a 3-2 lead. Shows you what I know.
An Ivan Harris block leads to a Mike Conley finish on the break, but XU seems willing to answer each OSU bucket. As Lewis cans another long jumper, I'm getting the feeling we're in for a good old fashioned Tourney shootout here at Rupp.
Oden's Issues
Greg Oden is off from the opening tip. The man who rarely misses has blown two close range gimmie's, losing the fight for the loose ball on the last one at 15:51 of the first half. Coach Matta's smart to call a quick timeout... he needs to remind this team not to force the issue.
While Oden has a few inches on Xavier's Josh Duncan, the junior is playing with him at every step. He's physical, and in position, and acting just enough of a pest to alter Oden's flow. Greg just missed his third shot of the half... and at the other end, Derrick Brown's punctuation dunk brought the XU contingent to a standing O.
13:11, first half... OSU 9 XU 8
Uh oh.
A few minutes before tipoff, and Rupp Arena is already louder for Saturday's Battle of Ohio than it was at its loudest point in Thursday's opening round win over Central Connecticut State. In fact, at 11:00 this morning, when I strolled out to center court for a walk, a select few scarlet-clad fans in the rafters belted out an "O-H..." that was followed up with an echoing, "I-O." Now that's a little more like it.
Thad Matta was just introduced over the loudspeaker to an old chorus in boo flat. Figured that was coming.
Ohio State should be concerned about Xavier's energy level. This team obviously has revenge on their minds for their former coach, and that could prove a dangerous x-factor in this game. But I still think talent wins out.
Tip-Off
First shot of the game for OSU: an ill-advised three by Ivan Harris too early in the shot clock that caught rim and nothing else. Something tells me living by the three just won't cut it today. Of course, just as I type that, Ron Lewis cans a three from the top of the key for a 3-2 lead. Shows you what I know.
An Ivan Harris block leads to a Mike Conley finish on the break, but XU seems willing to answer each OSU bucket. As Lewis cans another long jumper, I'm getting the feeling we're in for a good old fashioned Tourney shootout here at Rupp.
Oden's Issues
Greg Oden is off from the opening tip. The man who rarely misses has blown two close range gimmie's, losing the fight for the loose ball on the last one at 15:51 of the first half. Coach Matta's smart to call a quick timeout... he needs to remind this team not to force the issue.
While Oden has a few inches on Xavier's Josh Duncan, the junior is playing with him at every step. He's physical, and in position, and acting just enough of a pest to alter Oden's flow. Greg just missed his third shot of the half... and at the other end, Derrick Brown's punctuation dunk brought the XU contingent to a standing O.
13:11, first half... OSU 9 XU 8
Uh oh.
Posted at 10:00 AM
<< Home