Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Road Trippin'

By John Chandler

I hate my alarm clock. But I love college basketball. And answering that 4:00 AM wakeup call this morning meant getting on the road to cover top-seed Ohio State. It also meant no sleep, a cramped car, and bad coffee at I-71 rest stops. Sign me up, folks. It's destination: Lexington, Kentucky.

10:48 AM:
By the powers of the World Wide Web (and a tricked out Dell on my lap) I'm blogging to you from the comfort of our Saturn news car. Honk if you see us on I-71, just north of Cincinnati. Videographer Steve Cummings just turned up the volume on a little Rascal Flatts. Yeah, we're going country. When in Rome, right?

10:52 AM:
Listening to a little local sports radio out of Columbus, and I'd swear I caught them talking Buckeye football this morning. IT'S MARCH!!! I guess once a football town, always a football town. But a run through the NCAA Tournament by this freshman-focused Ohio State squad could sway them. Think about it... with Greg Oden and company, these Buckeyes are the most hyped thing to ever wear scarlet & gray. People report on what hand Oden uses to do everything, from shooting free throws to blowing his nose. And the big man just rolls with the pressure. He doesn't sweat it, and the record shows. Their 30 wins are the most in school history. They're the first Buckeyes to earn a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament since 1992 (lost to Michigan) and are a legitimate contender to bring back a second college hoops title to Columbus (1960 was the first) in April. Now, what football fan can't get behind that?

11:05 AM:
Gotta check out now... the Dixie Chicks are on the radio and that's simply a situation I have to remedy. Ohio State holds an open practice this afternoon. Look for our live reports from Rupp Arena in Kentucky on Live on Five, NewsChannel 5 at Six, and a detailed blog of the events in this very space. Now, if you'll excuse me... this sound might be the only thing more annoying than my alarm clock.

Posted at 7:39 AM